/ Pratik Mallya
I have recently started writing design docs as part of the decision making process for evaluating tooling choices at work. What do I think of them? Lets make a pros and cons list:
- Make a pros and cons list.
- Writing helps to organize thoughts, understand different perspectives, give immediate feedback to the writer. Cull dumb ideas quickly. Question yourself first, refine ideas before proposing the best.
- Get feedback from others in due time instead of in a slack thread; many conversations that start in slack threads may get distracted for a wide variety of reasons.
- Document your thought process to preserve it for future use. If done right, document others’ thought processes and feedback too.
- Takes longer.
- Slower decision making process.
- Without feedback, ivory tower with no reference to reality.